Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Computer Engineer

So it's been a while since I've blogged - caught up in the holiday fever and trying to stay calm in the midst of the hell that is the private school  application process.  But the events of this weekend forced me to get online again.

Last weekend I decided that it was time to paint the playroom.  I was tired of seeing the dirt streaked walls and after all, I purchased my $5 gallon of "oops" paint at Home Depot months ago.  Enough procrastinating about moving all the toys, getting behind the piano, etc., etc., etc.  I went to Ikea, picked up some storage items, then decided to get to work.  After heading to the basement to get my painting supplies, I discovered that my hubby must have thrown out the roller after our last paint job.  It's now 9pm and my dream of a painted play room is now slowly slipping away.  But hubby offers to go pick up the roller because Home Depot doesn't close until 10pm.  I'm thrilled - I'm going to get the job done after all!  

When hubby heads to HD, I decide to do some brain quest activities with princess and prince is running around - not begging for attention, not getting in the way, just being a good little boy.  Hubby returns home about 30 minutes later with my roller - I thank him, he heads upstairs, then I hear the following: "Prince took all the keys off my computer!!!!!!!!" To which I reply: "What?"  I mean seriously, I could not have heard him right.  Because that just cannot be possible.  Then he repeats it - the agitation in his voice growing.  I fly - literally - up the stairs to the bedroom and stare in horror - no, disbelief - no, amazement - no, shock.  I've never seen anything like it - ALL the keys were off the computer and strewn all over the bedroom - bed, floor, everywhere!  Of course, hubby blamed me for insisting that the computer should be community property (and probably also for requiring him to go to Home Depot).  Of course, hubby isn't blaming himself for leaving the computer, unattended on the bed, while heading down the street.

So I spend the next three hours dutifully piecing together the keyboard on the macbook (because of course there is no way hubby can even begin to attempt this task as he won't even assemble IKEA furniture).  By 1am, we are down to seven broken keys. So I then spent the next three hours painting because I was so wound up by the night's events that I could not sleep if I tried.  Fortunately, the mac store saved my marriage by replacing the broken keys for free on Sunday morning (that's my plug for Apple).  And I'm thinking ... who wants to be an Engineer?  

1 comment:

Justice Fergie said...

no way! that's outrageous. poor you.

computers are STRICTLY off-limits to the kids (and anyone else for that matter) in my house...largely b/c hubby IS a computer engineer :)