Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Unleashed

BK (before kids) - I recall seeing children on leashes while walking with their parents through a store or mall.  Given my Caribbean roots, I recall thinking self-righteously "who on earth would put their child on a leash"?  

AK (after kids and Prince in particular) - we are leaving swimming practice - Prince, Princess, my mom and me (hubby is at class tonight).  Prince takes off, running like Dash on the Incredibles - and I'm wearing three inch heels having gone straight to the pool from work.  I can't catch him.  I scream after him, but having absolutely no sense of the danger he is in, Prince runs even faster.  I tell Princess to run after him, she obeys and catches up to him, but he fights her off before I can get there then he's off again - into the parking lot - it's dark and anything can happen.  My heart is racing, I'm terrified and he is laughing hysterically.  Did I mention Prince cost me several thousand dollars as soon as he learned to walk because we had to install a fence around our home after a few similarly horrible experiences at home?  Anyway, I finally catch him safely at the car (only by the grace of God) and I'm livid and terrified.  The entire drive home I contemplated heading to Target tomorrow to purchase a leash - Eddie Bauer has a cute "harness buddy" and I'd rather seem like an evil parent than have to even think the unthinkable.

2 comments:

Justice Fergie said...

i'm more in shock that you are still wearing 3-inch heels to work. i need to get back in the game ;)

re the leash issues: forget what other ppl will think or who might be judging you. do what's best for you and your kids. i've thought about the leash many a time myself...

Momaroma said...

Thanks lady - I do need the vote of confidence. And the three inch heels were boots - so I don't think they count as "back in the game" - LOL!